Frequently asked questions
- Why is Tipmont offering Community Solar?
- Many Tipmont REMC members are interested in purchasing or generating renewable energy for their homes and businesses. Community Solar provides an alternative to the traditional process of purchasing and permanently installing solar equipment on your property.
- Do I have to be a Tipmont REMC member to participate?
- Yes, you must be a Tipmont REMC member with an active electric account to participate in Community Solar.
- Where is the solar array?
- The Community Solar array is located just south of our headquarters building in Linden, IN and is part of a sustainable area including natural grasslands and a tree grove.
- How is solar power better for the environment?
- Generating energy with solar power creates no pollution or CO2 emissions, and is a clean, renewable and sustainable alternative energy source.
- How much solar energy can I purchase?
- You may purchase the energy from up to 10 solar panels but not exceeding 50% of your annual electric usage.
- What does it cost?
- There are essentially two paths for joining the Community Solar program: paying up front (Upfront Payment and Easy Pay) and paying as you go (PPA).
- Do I own the panel?
- You are purchasing the electricity generated by a portion of the solar array, but you will not own any property or equipment. You are welcome to visit the solar array, and Tipmont REMC employees are available during business hours to give you a tour and answer questions. We will own, operate and maintain your panel as part of our solar array, but you will receive the energy it produces.
- What if I move?
- If you are moving to another Tipmont service location, your Community Solar agreement and bill credits can move with you. If you are moving out of the Tipmont service area, you have the option to transfer the solar agreement and credits to another member or back to Tipmont*. Call 1-800-726-3953 if you have questions about an upcoming move and your service. (*Refer to the Community Solar agreement for details of “Member’s Right to Sell to Cooperative”.)
- How do I participate?
- If you wish to become a part of the clean energy movement, fill out this short form to get started, or call us at 1-800-726-3953. It’s that easy.
- How much credit will I receive and how is it applied to my bill?
- For those paying upfront, Tipmont will measure the daily and monthly electricity generated by the 240 panels of the solar array. Each Community Solar member will receive credit for 1/240 of the kWhs produced. Those kWhs will be calculated using your current electric rate and a credit will be added to your monthly bill.
Based on research and actual data from similar arrays, members can expect an average of $5 credit per month during the first year of the program.
- How will I benefit from Community Solar?
- For less than $5 a month you can use clean, renewable energy as a part of your home’s monthly energy consumption. The benefit of Community Solar is knowing you are making the responsible choice in how you use energy, and that you’re helping usher in a brighter tomorrow.
For those paying for their panel upfront, by purchasing the output from a solar panel now, you are setting the price for a portion of your electric needs for the next 25 years. As electric rates rise, so will your Community Solar energy credits.
- How future-proof are the solar arrays?
- Tipmont REMC’s solar panels are rated to last 40 years. However, technology is always advancing. What’s likely to happen is that newer solar panels will produce energy more efficiently. But, the older solar panels will still be producing energy. So, when the time is right, we will simply add the new solar panels to the existing array and adjust our pricing accordingly.