Get your best wifi signal
Wintek fiber internet provides you convenient and reliable high-speed internet, and we want you to have the best experience possible. But did you know the WiFi in your house can be affected by things other than the speed of the internet we provide? Read on to learn about the top four things you can do to get your best WiFi signal.
- Use the latest and best hardware. Not all wireless routers are created equal. Older routers are not equipped to handle today’s internet speeds, and even some new routers don’t have the capacity to deliver high speeds wirelessly. If you’re not sure what wireless router to use, you can always ask us!
- Put your router in the right place. The location of your router is the next most important part of having a great WiFi signal. Putting your router inside a cabinet, behind a wall, or next to something metal can weaken the signal. Routers are most effective when they are out in the open. Also, if you have a choice, put the router higher rather than lower—on a top shelf or on your second floor.
- Beware of appliances. Certain home appliances, particularly things like microwave ovens or wireless phones, can have adverse effects on your WiFi signal. Investing in a dual band router can help with this, but placing your router farther from these appliances is also a good idea.
- Password protect your WiFi signal. Having a WiFi signal with no password protection is an invitation to your neighbors to use your internet service. And although your neighbors are lovely people, if they use your WiFi signal it will be weaker for you. Put a password on your WiFi signal (your router’s user manual should tell you how), and make it one that is unique and complex.
Wintek fiber internet is committed to bringing you the best internet connection possible, and we want your WiFi signal to be just as good. If you live in a larger home (greater than 2,500 square feet), we recommend a mesh unit, available for just $3 per month. A mesh unit amplifies your router's WiFi signal like a big invisible venn diagram, ensuring you always have strong coverage throughout your home.
- Last modified: Tuesday, October 01, 2019
Ron Holcomb is CEO of Tipmont REMC.