Since 1998, Indiana Connection and participating electric cooperatives have held an annual art contest for Indiana students in grades kindergarten through 12. The winning works from each grade illustrate the Cooperative Calendar of Student Art distributed by participating REMCs/RECs throughout Indiana.
How the contest works
Eligible students grades kindergarten through 12 are each assigned a month of the year to illustrate:
- 1st grade - January
- 2nd grade - February
- 3rd grade - March
- 4th grade - April
- 5th grade - May
- 6th grade - June
- 7th grade - July
- 8th grade - August
- 9th grade - September
- 10th grade - October
- 11th grade - November
- 12th grade - December
Artwork must be at the Indianapolis office of Electric Consumer by 3 p.m., Friday, March 20, 2020. Mailing address: 8888 Keystone Crossing, Suite 1600, Indianapolis, IN 46240. Refer to the contest rules for submission details including specs and formats and the official entry form .
- FIRST PLACE: A first place “Artist of the Month” will be selected for each grade, kindergarten through 12, and will receive $200. Up to nine additional artists will be selected for honorable mention awards and receive $75.
- ARTIST OF THE YEAR: An “Artist of the Year” also will be selected from among the first place winners for the Best of Show and receive an additional $100.
- HONORABLE MENTION: Artists who win either their grade division or honorable mention awards will receive 10 complimentary copies of the 2021 calendar.
- AWARD OF MERIT: Judges will also select Award of Merit winners who will receive certificates.
- Any Indiana student, attending any public or private school or educated at home, who — for the 2019-2020 school year — is in the grades kindergarten through high school senior.
- Students do not have to be consumers of a rural electric cooperative (REMC/REC).
- Artwork can be submitted by teachers, youth leaders or others as a group or class project, or by individual students or their parents or guardians.
- Students may enter as often as they wish.